Monday, August 15, 2011

I suddenly wished you were here.

I never grew up with a grandparent. Our family lived in a city a few hundred miles away from our ancestral homes. It’s either us visiting them or them paying us a visit. I wasn’t fortunate enough to live to meet my dad’s father and my mom’s mother. But I was able to meet my grandma and grandpa.


I remember my healthy grandpa visiting me when I was still a few years old, holding my little body in his lap. I remember my healthy grandma kissing my forehead, excited to finally meet me again as an 8-year-old when I visited them for a reunion. I remember them trying their best to speak in the language that I have known, for I wasn’t fluent in their way of speaking. ..


And when time wasn’t given much of thought, my dear grandpa reached his limit, making me leave my hometown and school for a few days just to see him, and to fulfill his wish to see us. I saw him in his old age, unable to ambulate, skinny with poor eyesight, trying his best to speak to me about his presents. I saw my dear grandma through the e-mailed photos of her sitting in a wheelchair, trying her best to fight her biggest enemy, cancer. Her time came, and those moments allowed me to see my dad’s soft side, the one he rarely shows.


Such are some of the recollections I have of them that are worth keeping. I could only listen to my mom and dad’s stories as they relive their own childhood memories. It’s only through this and the photos I have of them, film and digital alike, that I am able to know and admire them more. Grandma, grandpa, you have raised your children well. I can feel that they are very proud of you and likewise, you’ll surely be proud of them too. I just wish that I was already able to play the piano before, grandpa, so that we’ll play together. Mom told me you’re a very good with the notes. I’ll see you both in paradise soon :)


To those who still have their grandparents with you, you are fortunate. I always admire those good old folks. They have a lot of wisdom to share that only old ones could give. Even if they can be nagging at times, love them, cherish them. It’s not every day that someone as wise and loving as them can stay forever.


*I am sorry this was long. My mom was relishing her memories a while ago and it made me miss them more. The drawing by the way was done a few minutes ago. Still a WIP. I bought a new and cheap mechanical pencil but it works surprisingly fine with the drawing :D


No comments:

Post a Comment